Monday, December 13, 2010

America's Music

          The first song I chose to write about is “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix. I had heard this song many times without having the slightest clue about what the lyrics were even referring to. I had always liked it because of the use of the electric guitar and my general interest in classic rock. After listening to the commentary I now know that it is not really necessary to understand the meaning of the lyrics. The song is based on a dream that Hendrix had after reading a science fiction novel. In learning about Jimi Hendrix’s musical history, the seemingly strange and unorthodox nature of the lyrics in “Purple Haze” makes more sense to me. Hendrix was a self-taught guitarist who restrung his guitar and flipped it upside down to accommodate his being left handed. After feeling frustrated as a side artist in a rock band, he left for England where he started his first makeshift band. “Purple Haze,” which was first played in London, was Hendrix’s first big hit and it became a clear representation of Hendrix’s musical style as well as his freestyle approach to life in general.
            “Purple Haze” breaks the classic blues structure mold in its use of the electric guitar and faster tempo. Jimi Hendrix, although undoubtedly inspired by the early blues and “Muddy Water” music, was able to fuse rock and roll with the blues as well as revolutionize the use of the electric guitar in his short four-year career. Hendrix died of a drug overdose only years after writing and singing “Purple Haze.”
            I personally have always loved this song mostly because of the sounds produced by the electric guitar. Hendrix often turned up the sound of his amplifier in order to produce different sounds from his instrument. When I listen to the song, I feel like the guitar almost sounds like a second person that responds to Hendrix’s words. I am a big fan of classic rock and have always considered this song as one of the most important and influential songs of the genre. I believe that this song not only captures the feeling and mindset of the sixties, but that it also paved the way for much of the popular music made during and after this time period. “Purple Haze” is a great representation of Jimi Hendrix’s pure talent as a musician as well as his daringness to try new sounds and techniques.
            The second song I chose is “Oye Como Va,” originally by Tito Puente and remade by Carlos Santana. In listening to the commentary on this song I learned various details about how Carlos Santana took an already great song and made it more accessible to a broader audience. Tito Puente originally produced the song using Cuban rhythms and Latin based instruments. Seven years later Carlos Santana, an immigrant to the United States from Tijuana, Mexico, reproduced the song using different rock instruments while keeping the same Cuban rhythm and Latin style. Santana’s fusion of rock and Latin music in this song caught the attention of American listeners who had previously never really been exposed to Latin style music and rhythms. I believe that the use of the electric guitar really helped make “Oye Como Va” so influential because it gave the song a different feel that allowed listeners from the United States to relate in some way to the sounds, while introducing them at the same time to a musical genre they had not experienced.
            I personally love this song mostly because of the interest I have in Latin culture and music. I served my mission Spanish speaking and have developed a deep love for the people and their way of life. The fact that this song helped introduce Latin music style in the United States makes it a very important song to me personally. I love that people appreciate and like this song without having to understand what the lyrics are saying. This says much about both Santana and Puente’s musical genius as well as the effect Latin music has had and continues to have on American culture and music. Many songs such as the 1970 hit “Spill the Wine” have been influenced by the rhythms and use of instruments in “Oye Como Va.” This song is well labeled as one of the hundred most influential songs in America.
            Lastly, I chose to listen and write about James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain.” Listening to the commentary helped me learn the meaning of the song, and to more fully appreciate the artist James Taylor’s musical talent. The song has three verses that communicate Taylor’s feelings about three different subjects. The first has to do with the suicide of one of his close friends. In the second Taylor sings of his struggle with Heroine and possibly other hard drugs. The third and final verse is about a mental hospital and a band Taylor played in during the earlier stages of his career. I had always understood that the song had to do with the death of someone, but I had never realized the meanings of the second and third verses. My appreciation grew for the power of music in communicating feelings that are somewhat difficult to communicate or express. In writing this song Taylor was able to relieve many feelings of tension that these events had caused for him in his life, and I feel that listeners can in return release feelings of sadness or distress through his lyrics.
            I personally love listening to this song because I think the way the guitar is used goes so well with the lyrics and message of the song. A tone of sadness is expressed by the words, yet to me there is also a feeling of hope created by the way Taylor plays his guitar and uses the piano in the background. What I most appreciate about this song however is that has to do with real events in a real persons life. To me it is powerful when a person can express himself or herself in such a way through music. I think the popularity and effect of the song is enhanced by the reality of the events in the song because Taylor was able to really communicate what actually happened to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment